"A flint-lock Sporting Rifle, with gold and silver furniture, safety rigger, silver-mounted whalebone rod, and spring bayonet. The gun was used by Napoleon, and, apart from its great historical interest, is remarkable as a very early form of flint-lock rifle. It belonged for many years to Egg, the famous gun-maker, whose private collection contained only guns of exceptional interest. Provenance: Purchased by William Randolph Hearst from the Maund Collection Sale, Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, June 13, 1913, through William Permain, July 14, 1913 for $689.79; sold to Gimbel Bros., Inc., May 26, 1941 for 209. "
Contact Long Island University For information on reproductions for academic publishing or commercial use, contact Digital Initiatives Photo Services, 516-299-3504 or email Post-Digislide@liu.edu
Long Island University, Brookville, NY, http://liu.edu Photograph, William Randolph Hearst Archive, S/B lot 50, Article 149, Album 1a, p. 34