"One Made by Priest, the Other by Blanch of London. These are the original pistols used in the celebrated duel between Henry Clay and John Randolph of Roanoke. They were presented by the family of John Randolph to Chandler Price of Virginia, and were inherited from his estate by his son, R. Butler Price of Philadelphia, who, in 1854, presented them to the father of Mrs. E. D. Hutchinson, a previous owner. Provenance: Purchased by William Randolph Hearst from the Early American Relics Sale through Stan V. Henkels, April 11, 1921 for $200 ($100 each); sold to Gimbel Bros., Inc., Mar. 31, 1941 for $263."
Contact Long Island University For information on reproductions for academic publishing or commercial use, contact Digital Initiatives Photo Services, 516-299-3504 or email Post-Digislide@liu.edu
Long Island University, Brookville, NY, http://liu.edu Photograph, William Randolph Hearst Archive, S/B lot 402, Articles 42 & 43, Album 1b, p. 65