early 17th century
"The locks and furnishings of steel are boldly and beautifully chiselled in the finest Brescian style with Renaissance designs introducing foliage and figures and cherubs; the barrels are grooved and chevroned. The locks are marked ""Pictro, Florentino,"" and barrels ""Lazarino Cominazzo."" From the Collection of T.E. Kennedy. Believed to have been originally in the Bernal Collection. Provenance: Purchased by William Randolph Hearst from the Herbert Jackson Sale through Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, London, March 1, 1923 for $486.63; sold to Gimbel Bros., Inc., May 26, 1941 for $468."
Contact Long Island University For information on reproductions for academic publishing or commercial use, contact Digital Initiatives Photo Services, 516-299-3504 or email Post-Digislide@liu.edu
Long Island University, Brookville, NY, http://liu.edu Photograph, William Randolph Hearst Archive, S/B lot 150, Articles 7 & 8, Album 1b, p. 57